Monday 27 April 2015

You would never guess it but...

I have a high needs toddler. Everyone who meets Indy comments on how happy, chatty, and smiley he is. When Indy is around other people he is happy to wander around, talk to people, play by himself, you name it. However, you be a fly on the wall when it's just me and the boy, and it's a completely different story.

Indy is my shadow. Indy clings onto me, onto my leg, onto my chest, onto my head. "Mama, mama, mama, please, mama, mama" is repeated, constantly. He still breastfeeds like a newborn, asking every  half hour, pulling on my top and smacking on my chest. I've started saying no, and we successfully night-weaned him using the Dr Jay Gordon method. I play with him, I reassure him, he gets lots of cuddles and kisses and 'I love yous' and is a very content little boy, he just seems to turn into a completely different child when it's just him and myself.

This is partly the reason why I started this blog. I wanted to show myself and others that I was interacting with him lots, and that we were playing together and his needs were being filled. In a way I feel guilty that he acts like this, Daddy has walked downstairs from work and seen how different Indy acts towards me and he has been shocked. I suffer from anxiety that leaves me fairly housebound, so going to baby and toddler groups has been difficult. I'm persuading myself to try a couple in the next few weeks, to partly relieve some of the pressure off me, and to let Indy be around other people. I know nobody there will believe me when I say I have a high needs toddler, watching my confident little boy strut around independently, making friends and playing, but I'm sure someone else there will know exactly what it's like.

3 comments:

  1. Does he have teeth? Then he no longer requires breast feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hatassa, I can't even count the ways in which you seem to be misled, but instead of just shouting at you, please read this as I think it will be important for you.

    Firstly, it's not unheard of for babies to be born with their milk teeth. They still NEED breastmilk, not just as a bonus but obviously they can't eat.

    Secondly, breastfeeding isn't just a stop gap until they are old enough to eat solid food. Even after a 18 months it still provides HALF of a child's nutritional requirements. I have linked a source below (with a few choice quotes here) so that you can read up and hopefully learn that breastfeeding isn't the monster some can make it out to be. WHO (the World Health Organization) are at the forefront of World Health and if you wanted to see there are a number of good, solid, scientific studies which you can go over to learn more about this eco-friendly and above all healthy way of feeding your babies

    "[breastfeeding] continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life"

    "Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond."

    "Breast milk promotes sensory and cognitive development, and protects the infant against infectious and chronic diseases"

    "Breastfeeding contributes to the health and well-being of mothers; it helps to space children, reduces the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer"


    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/exclusive_breastfeeding/en/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the technical term is, "Owned".
    Well done Jon.
    Ignorance too often thinks it is intelligence.

    ReplyDelete